The Tzu Chi Center, part of the Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation, is hosting the first ever Holistic Climate Solutions Summit during Climate Week NYC.
To examine climate action from a holistic perspective, the Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation is hosting its first ever Holistic Climate Solutions Summit in alignment with both Climate Week NYC and the UN General Assembly.
From September 19-25, sessions will be conducted in the form of thought-provoking panels, interactive workshops, ‘intentional meals,’ and community-based programs. They’ll present solutions-focused themes that model a better tomorrow, as well as those that showcase what’s possible when optimism and action converge with respect for all sentient beings and our planet. It also gathers 90 speakers (with 80 unique speakers), across 22 events in total.
Events dates, time and location
September 19 -25, 2022 (see full schedule)
In-person (RSVP required): Tzu Chi Center, 229 E 60th Street, New York, NY 10022
Each day of the Summit will be dedicated to the following themes (and their respective sessions):
- Day 1 – Food Systems (Monday, 9/19)
- 10 AM: An Intergenerational Dialogue: Youth Solutions & Priorities for Healthy and Sustainable Food Systems
- 1 PM: Faith-Based Solutions to Create Climate Resilient Food Systems
- 3:30 PM: Revolutionary Strategies of Food Sovereignty for Historically Marginalized Communities of Color
- 6:30 PM: In Dialogue with Youth Environmental Leaders: Creating Transformative Change at the UN
- Day 2 – Local to Global (Tuesday, 9/20)
- Day 3 – Interfaith and Well-Being (Wednesday, 9/21)
- 7:30 AM: Highlighting Interfaith Responses to Climate Anxiety
- 10 AM: Faith Dialogue Informing the White House Conference on Hunger, Nutrition, and Health
- 1 PM: Explorations of the Climate Security Nexus
- 3:30 PM: The Building Blocks of Mutual Aid for Disaster Resilience
- 7 PM: Mindfulness in the Face of Eco-Anxiety and Climate Grief
- Day 4 – Envisioning Our Shared Future (Thursday, 9/22)
- 10 AM: The Zero-Zero Solution: Getting to Actual Zero Anthropogenic Emissions of GHG with the VECA (Vision for Equitable Climate Action) Framework
- 1 PM: Youth Leadership in the Triple Planetary Crisis: Creating the World We Need to Live In
- 3:30 PM: Innovative Usage of Storytelling for Media Communications on Climate Awareness and Climate Action
- 6:30 PM: Art for Climate Action: Creating Our Future Together
- Day 5 – Building a Flourishing Future (Friday, 9/23)
- 10 AM: Marching Towards COP27: Building MENA Climate Resilience by Engaging Women of Faith in Food Systems Transformation
- 1 PM: Solutions at the Nexus of Climate, Animal Welfare, and Sustainable Development
- 3:30 PM: Exploring the UNGA Resolution on Human Right to Clean, Healthy and Sustainable Environment
- 6:30 PM: Holistic Climate Solutions Summit Networking Event
- Day 6 – Plastics and the Climate (Saturday, 9/24)
- Day 7 – United in Action (Sunday, 9/25)
Attendees will be able to enjoy vegan and climate friendly foods during select sessions.
We also boast a diversity of 30 co-organizers altogether, with the UN Environmental Programme, United Nations Department of Global Communications, Compassion in World Farming, World Animal Protection, and the World Federation for Animals co-organizing specific sessions of the Holistic Climate Solutions Summit. Overall Summit co-organizers include:
Those who wish to attend sessions in-person must send in a request to attend through the respective session’s registration link. Alternatively, virtual access will be broadly available for nearly all sessions except for those where a livestream will not be conducted.